Smoked Whitefish Cakes
- 3 ⁄4 pounds Acme smoked whitefish filleted
- 7 oz. whitefish salad for a creamier consistency, you can skip the filleted whitefish, and just use whitefish salad
- 1 ⁄4 cup yellow onion grated
- 3 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1 ⁄4 cups panko bread crumbs use more, ass needed, if mixture is too loose
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil for frying
- First de-bone and fillet the whitefish, then chop it into relatively small pieces. In a large bowl, combine the whitefish, whitefish salad, onion, cheese, lemon zest and juice and 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs. Season to taste with pepper and mix well. Sprinkle remaining panko on a plate, divide the whitefish mixture into four and shape into cakes, coating them lightly with the Panko. (If making ahead, put on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.) To cook, heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium heat. Add the fish cakes and fry for 5-6 minutes. Turn and cook the other side for about 4-5 minutes. Allow cakes to rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Pictured above with kale, halved cherry tomatoes, olive oil, and salt.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Recipe courtesy of Acme Smoked Fish