Smoked Fish Fritters with Beet Vinaigrette
- 2 medium red beets about 8 oz. total
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 12- oz. skinless cod
- 5 tablespoon or more vegetable oil, divided
- 8 ounces smoked whitefish skin and bones removed, flaked
- 3 large eggs beaten to blend
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 1 piece matzo finely crushed (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh dill plus more for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Wrap beets individually in foil, place on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast until tender, 50–60 minutes. Let cool. Peel and cut into ¼” cubes.
- Whisk lemon juice, horseradish, and vinegar in a medium bowl; gradually add oil, whisking to blend well. Season with salt.
- DO AHEAD: Beets and vinaigrette can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill.
- Heat oven to 400°. Place cod on a rimmed baking sheet. Rub with 1 Tbsp. oil. Roast until just opaque in center, 10–15 minutes. Let fish cool, then flake with a fork.
- Mix cod, whitefish, eggs, shallot, matzo, chives, 2 Tbsp. dill, and 2 Tbsp. water in a medium bowl. Season with pepper and mix vigorously to combine (mixture will be stiff).
- Reduce oven temperature to 200°; set a wire rack inside a large rimmed baking sheet. Heat remaining 4 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop scant ¼-cupfuls of fritter mixture into skillet; press gently with a spatula to flatten. Cook, turning once and adding more oil if needed, until golden brown and crispy around edges, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to prepared rack. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining fritters.
- Mix beets into vinaigrette. Serve fritters with vinaigrette; top with dill.
- DO AHEAD: Fritter mixture can be made 1 day ahead; cover and chill.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!