- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces chorizo diced
- 1 pound yellow-fleshed potatoes peeled and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 medium leeks white and tender green parts, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound smoked sablefish whitefish or smoked mackerel, in 1-inch chunks
- 8 ounces piquillo peppers from a jar cut in 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- Lime wedges for serving
- Put olive oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add chorizo and potatoes and stir to coat, then cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Add bay leaf and broth and bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. When potatoes are nearly tender, about 10 minutes, add leeks and cook for 5 minutes more. Taste broth and add salt as necessary.
- Add smoked sable and piquillo peppers and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off heat to let flavors mingle.
- Reheat soup to serve, adding chopped cilantro at the last minute. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing into bowls at the table.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!