Food & Wine
photo credit, Fredrika Stjarne
Seared Sole With Asian Lime Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons palm sugar or packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 6 fresh red Thai bird chiles minced (seeded for less heat)
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 7-8 ounce skinless grey sole fillets
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a small saucepan, stir the fish sauce and sugar over high heat until the sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro, chiles, garlic, lime juice and crushed red pepper.
- Heat a large skillet until hot. Season the sole with salt and black pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the skillet and swirl to coat the bottom. Add 2 of the fillets and cook over high heat until lightly browned outside and just white throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side; transfer to plates. Wipe out the skillet and repeat with the remaining olive oil and sole. Pour the lime sauce on the sole and serve.