Seafood and Corn Chowder
Hearty soup great on a cold day.
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups cream not heavy
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 ears of corn on the cob cut into one-inch rounds
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- salt to taste
- 1/2 lb scallops cut in half
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp shelled and deveined
- 1/2 lb fresh lobster meat cut into bite-sized chunks
- Melt the butter in the bottom of a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, red pepper, salt, and white pepper. Cook until they soften.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a low boil.
- Add the potatoes and the corn. Cook until potatoes are just tender.
- Add the cream and the paprika and stir.
- With the cover on the saucepan, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 1/2 hour.
- Add the scallops, give them a 3-minute head start, and then add the shrimp. Cook until the scallops and the shrimp no longer look transparent (about 3 - 5 minutes).
- Add the lobster meat.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust to your liking. When everything is heated, serve into soup bowls, with some crusty French bread or your favorite chowder cracker.
This can be made a day in advance, chilled, and then heated slowly, stirring till heated through. You can substitute other seafood or fish for any of the above, Squid, Cusk, Monkfish, Jonah Crab Claws, Mahogany Clams, Mussels, Shucked Oysters, just use your judgment for cooking time.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!