- 4.5 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup olive oil divided
- 2.5 cups leeks white and light green parts only, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cups arborio rice uncooked
- 3 sprigs thyme
- .75 cup dry white wine
- 2 tsp salt divided
- 3 oz Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb sea scallops large
- 2 tsp fresh tarragon chopped
- Heat chicken stock in a saucepan over medium-high until steaming but not boiling; reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add leeks and garlic; cook, stirring often, until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in rice and thyme; cook, stirring until coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring constantly, until absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 2 cups of the warm stock and 1 teaspoon of the salt to rice mixture. Cook, stirring often, with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, until almost absorbed, about 10 minutes. Continue adding remaining warm stock, about 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until most of the liquid has absorbed between additions, about 25 minutes total. Rice should be tender and saucy. Remove and discard thyme.
- Remove from heat, and stir in Parmigiano- Reggiano, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large cast-iron or stainless steel skillet over high. Sprinkle scallops with remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and place in hot oil, leaving space between each one. Using a spatula, press each scallop lightly to ensure good contact with skillet. Cook scallops until well browned, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate.
- Stir fresh tarragon into risotto; spoon desired amount into bowls, and top with scallops. Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!