Bon Appetit, September 18, 2019
Poached Cod in Tomato Curry
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 red chile halved, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 piece fresh ginger roughly 1" piece, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves thinly sliced
- 4 cardamom pods crushed
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes about 1¼ lb.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut cream
- kosher salt
- 4 - 8 oz. cod fillets
- 1 cup basil leaves torn if large
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium until melted. Add chile, ginger, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until garlic has softened but not taken on any color, about 3 minutes. Add cardamom, coriander, and turmeric and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the tomatoes have burst and released their liquid, 12–15 minutes. Stir in coconut milk; taste and season curry with salt.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Season cod with salt and nestle into curry. Cover and cook at a bare simmer until fish is opaque throughout and beginning to flake, 5–7 minutes (thicker pieces will take longer to cook).
- Gently transfer cod to shallow bowls. Stir basil into tomato curry, then spoon over fish