New England Finnan Haddie
- 2 lbs finnan haddie (smoked haddock)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 chilled hard boiled eggs
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place finnan haddie in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Let fish simmer for 20 minutes.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and saute onions until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in flour, sal and pepper until smooth.
- Slowly add cream and milk over medium heat, constantly stirring until thickened.
- Place fish in ovenproof serving dish.
- Chop eggs coarsely and place over the fish.
- Pour cream sauce over all, and place in oven for 15 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
Harbor Fish Market vintage recipe, circa 1981.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!