Mediterranean-Style Fish Soup Recipe
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes or ½ red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 pounds moderately firm fish fillet red snapper, sea bass, cusk, cod cut into chunks (1 ½ -inch pieces)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28- ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock preferably low-sodium
- 1 cup packed chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 green onions chopped both white and green parts
- 1 lemon juice of
- In a small bowl, mix the spices together.
- Season the fish with a good pinch of kosher salt and black pepper and 2 to 3 teaspoons of the spice mixture; toss to coat.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic. Cook, tossing regularly, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Season with a good pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Add the remainder of the spice mixture.
- Add the tomatoes, white wine, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot part-way and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the fish and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked through (do not over-cook the fish, remember it will continue to cook in the hot broth even after you remove it from the heat).
- Stir in the parsley, cilantro, green onions. Finish with lemon juice. Serve immediate
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!