Maine Crabmeat Stuffing
- 1 bunch scallions sliced (white and green parts separated)
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth
- kosher salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 16 cups 1/2-inch stale bread cubes 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 pound lump crabmeat picked over
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter plus more for the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and butter a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the scallion whites, bell pepper, thyme and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 6 minutes. Add the broth, 1 and teaspoon salt, bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and add the scallion greens. Add the bread cubes, vegetable-broth mixture and crabmeat and stir until combined. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Cut the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into small cubes and scatter evenly over the stuffing; sprinkle with the paprika. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, then uncover and bake until golden brown, 20 to 30 more minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!