Maine Crabmeat Stuffing
- 1 bunch scallions sliced (white and green parts separated)
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth
- kosher salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 16 cups 1/2-inch stale bread cubes 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 pound lump crabmeat picked over
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter plus more for the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and butter a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the scallion whites, bell pepper, thyme and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 6 minutes. Add the broth, 1 and teaspoon salt, bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and add the scallion greens. Add the bread cubes, vegetable-broth mixture and crabmeat and stir until combined. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Cut the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into small cubes and scatter evenly over the stuffing; sprinkle with the paprika. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, then uncover and bake until golden brown, 20 to 30 more minutes.