- 8 tablespoons Unsalted Butter 1 stick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 cups lobster or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 lbs cooked lobster meat claws intact, tails cut in large bite-size pieces
- 3 cans evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup milk or cream if necessary
- In a large pot over low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion, stir, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and 6 cups broth and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 30 minutes, until potatoes begin to soften.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add about a third of the lobster and sauté for about a minute or so. Set aside. Repeat with the remaining lobster and butter.
- Add lobster to onion and potato mixture; stir over medium heat. Add canned milk and basil, taste, and adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper. If mixture is too thick, add milk or cream. Serve