Recipe: Nancy Oakes at bonappetit.com
Lobster and Shrimp Cioppino
- STEW BASE:
- 2 1 1/2 pound live lobsters
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp with shells
- 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped fresh fennel bulb
- 12 Garlic Cloves peeled, flattened
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 28 ounce can plus 2 cups diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 4 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 large fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 large fresh oregano sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 4 8 ounce bottles clam juice
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3 pounds red snapper fillets
- TO FINISH STEW:
- 16 large sea scallops
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 6 tablespoons - chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 large shallot minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- MAKE STEW BASE:
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add 1 lobster headfirst. Cover pot; cook lobster 5 minutes. Transfer lobster to large bowl of ice. Cook remaining lobster; cool. Working over rimmed baking sheet, twist tail and large claws off lobsters. Using lobster cracker or nutcracker, crack claws; gently remove meat in 1 piece. Remove tail meat from shell; slice each tail crosswise into 6 medallions. Place lobster meat in small bowl; cover and chill. Place lobster shells and juices in heavy resealable plastic bag; smash shells with kitchen mallet into smaller pieces; reserve.
- Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact; reserve shells. Place shrimp in medium bowl; cover and chill.
- Heat oil in large pot (at least 8-quart capacity) over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, fennel and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Mix in tomato paste; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices, herbs and crushed pepper; cook 5 minutes. Add clam juice, wine, snapper, lobster shells, and juices and shrimp shells; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 1 hour.
- Working in batches, strain stew through large sieve into second large pot, reserving solids. Set food mill over second pot. Working with 2 cups reserved stew-base solids at a time, press through food mill to extract remaining broth and some fish and vegetables to make 13 cups stew base. Discard remaining solids.
- Boil stew base until reduced to 10 cups, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill stew base uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Keep lobster and shrimp chilled.)
- Bring stew base to simmer; keep warm. Combine scallops, crabmeat (if desired), shrimp, and lobster meat in large bowl. Add flour; toss gently to coat. Place seafood in sieve; shake off excess flour. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of seafood. Sauté 1 minute. Add half of butter, then 2 tablespoons parsley, half of garlic, and half of shallot. Sauté until scallops and shrimp are just opaque in center and all seafood is beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Repeat with remaining oil, butter, seafood, 2 tablespoons parsley, garlic, and shallot; transfer to same bowl. Add wine to skillet and boil until reduced to glaze, scraping up browned bits, about 3 minutes. Mix glaze into seafood.
- Ladle stew base into shallow bowls. Arrange seafood in center. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parsley.