Laughing Bird Shrimp Cakes
- 1 lb. Laughing Bird shrimp You can substitute fresh southern atlantic shrimp.
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 of a small sweet red pepper
- 2 scallions cut into chunks
- 1 stalk small celery diced fine
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups unseasoned breadcrumbs
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine parsley, scallion, and red pepper in a food processor, chop until fine. Remove to mixing bowl.
- Add shrimp to the food processor, chop till they become a paste.
- Add shrimp to the mixing bowl, along with the celery, zest, eggs, and 2 cups of the bread crumbs, mix well.
- Pile the remaining bread crumbs in a flat dish. Start forming the shrimp mixture into small balls, about the size of a golf ball, pat flat into cakes, then coat each side in the remaining bread crumbs.
- Coat a sauté pan with extra virgin olive oil, and place over medium to medium high heat. Sauté the shrimp cakes approximately a minute to a minute and a half on each side.
- Remove from heat to paper towel to remove any excess oil. Serve hot or cold, with a shrimp cocktail sauce, a remoulade sauce or a vinaigrette of oil, lemon, and fresh basil.