Grilled Oysters with Pico de Gallo
- 2 roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 large jalapeno seeded and chopped
- Handful of cilantro chopped
- 3 limes
- 18-24 Oysters scrubbed clean
- 1/2 cup shredded monterrey jack cheese
- To make the pico de gallo, stir the chopped tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro together in a bowl with the juice of 1 lime and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Slice the remaining 2 limes into thin wedges for serving.
- Heat grill to high.
- Place closed oysters on the grill and cook covered, 5-7 minutes or until opened (smaller oysters will open in ~5 minutes, larger ones might take a few more minutes).
- Remove to a platter and let cool slightly.
- If any of the oysters remain closed, throw them out - they are not safe to eat.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Using a dull knife, pry the shells completely open and discard the top shell.
- Top each shell with a pinch of shredded jack and place on an oven-safe dish/baking pan (covering the bottom with something like dry beans, uncooked rice, or salt will keep the oysters from sliding around or tipping over).
- Broil for ~1 minute, just to melt the cheese.
- Top with a spoonful of pico and serve immediately, with extra lime wedges.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!