Fettuccine with Asparagus and Smoked Salmon
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus medium thickness
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces smoked salmon sliced 1/4-inch thick
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 9 ounces to 10fresh green fettuccine noodles
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Snap off the ends of the asparagus where they break naturally and peel the stalks. Cut the asparagus on a slant to pieces about an inch long.
- Steam the asparagus until they are just barely tender and still bright green, about three minutes. Rinse under cold water, drain well on paper towels and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- While the water is coming to a boil, melt the butter in a large heavy skillet. Add the shallots and saute until soft but not brown. Stir in the cream and simmer about five minutes, until the cream has thickened somewhat.
- Cut the salmon into slivers, add it to the cream and remove the skillet from the heat. Season with pepper and lemon juice. Add the asparagus.
- When the pot of water is boiling, add the fettuccine, stir it once or twice, then cook two to three minutes after the water has returned to a boil. Drain well.
- Briefly reheat the sauce. Transfer the fettuccine to a warm serving bowl, pour the sauce over it and toss. Sprinkle with dill and serve.