Corned Hake and Potatoes
- 1-2 pounds hake
- 1-2 pounds potatoes
- butter to taste
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 cup vinegar
- salt pork save pork fat
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place onion slices in vinegar in a bowl and cover. Let marinate for at least 2 hours, (longer is better).
- Place hake in a dish, salt generously. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours, covered with a lid so that it will ‘corn.’
- Take hake out of refrigerator and rinse thoroughly, cover again with cold water and boil until flaky.
- While hake is cooking, boil potatoes and mash them, add desired amount of butter, salt and pepper.
- Dice salt pork and fry until crispy.
- Drain hake when it is done, then serve over mashed potatoes. Top with onions, salt pork, and fat rendered from pork.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!