Coconut Ecuadorian Shrimp Curry
- 1 lb peeled and deveined Ecuadorian shrimp
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp grated garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste if unavailable, combine 1 1/2 tsp lime juice, 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 serrano chile finely diced
- pinch of cayenne or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- 8 ounces mushrooms chopped
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk fresh or canned
- Put shrimp in a medium bowl, and season with salt.
- Heat oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add Serrano chile, garlic and ginger. Saute 2-3 minutes. Add tomato paste, tamarind and spices. Cook a few minutes until spices become fragrant. Add mushrooms and stir for about 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook, stirring for about 2 to 3 more minutes until shrimp have turned pink and mushrooms have softened.
- Add coconut milk and simmer for about 3 minutes. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with either basmati rice, chapati or naan.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!