Classic Moules et frites (Mussels and French fries)
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 6 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sprigs fresh parsley plus 2 chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds Bang's Island mussels (2 bags)
- Pommes Frites preferably shoestring, for serving
- Warm crusty bread for serving
- In a large, deep sauté pan or a large, wide saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add shallots, garlic, and herbs and cook, stirring, until shallots are soft and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine, heavy cream, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Increase the heat to high, add the mussels, cover the pan, and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until mussels have opened, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and discard any mussels that have not opened. Transfer mussels and liquid to a large, deep serving bowl and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately with warm, crusty bread and Pommes Frites for dipping.