Breaded Smelt Sandwich
- Wash and dry the fish and season with salt and pepper.
- Have two bowls ready: one with the lightly beaten eggs, and the other one with the flour, seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Dip each fish in the beaten egg, and then in the seasoned flour, shaking off excess.
- Put the fish in the hot oil and fry on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Do not overcook. Transfer to a plate covered with paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Slice the bread in half, and spread both sides with mayo. Add a lettuce leaf or two, a couple slices of tomato and desired amount of smelts over the lettuce. Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!