Food & Wine
Arctic char with North African Sauce (Charmoula)
- 3 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green olives
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt
- 4-eight ounce skin-on Arctic char fillets
- In a small skillet, toast the garlic over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the skins blacken, 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool slightly; discard the skins.
- In a food processor, puree 1/3 cup of the oil, the garlic, parsley, cilantro, olives, lemon juice, cumin and paprika until smooth. Transfer the charmoula to a bowl and season with salt.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Season the fish with salt and pepper and place it skin side down in the skillet. Cook the fish over moderately high heat until the skin is golden, about 3 minutes. Flip the fish and cook just until it flakes easily, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain briefly on paper towels. Serve the fish with the charmoula.