Cullen Skink, (Traditional Scottish Fish Chowder)
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 leek well-rinsed, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4 1/2 cups fish or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes peeled and cut into roughly 1 inch cubes
- 10-12 ounces finnan haddie smoked haddock
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- chives roughly chopped
- Warm the oil in a pan. Add the chopped leek, cover and gently cook for a few minutes until soft. Add the stock, bay leaf, potato and haddock. Season lightly with black pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the haddock from the pan with a slotted spoon. When the fish is cool enough to handle, remove any skin and bones, then flake the haddock back into the pan.
- Blend a ladle full of the soup in a food processor and return to the pan. Stir in the double cream and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Add more black pepper if necessary, then sprinkle with the chopped chives and serve.
- Serve with chunks of fresh bread.