Braised Halibut Puttanesca
In this recipe, the fish is braised in a lively tomato sauce with capers and olives.
- 4 halibut portions, skin off
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 - 2 ounce tin anchovies in oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 dried arbor chilies or 1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 - 14 ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup pitted cured black olives
- 6 basil leaves, torn, for garnish
- Season the fish with salt and let rest for 20 minutes.
- In an ovenproof saute pan over medium-high heat, warm 3 tbsp of the olive oil, anchovies with their oil, garlic, and chiles, and cook until the anchovies melt.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, capers and olives. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Nestle the fish into the sauce and drizzle with the remaining 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Cover the pan and place in a 275 F degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving scattered with torn basil leaves.
This recipe comes to us courtesy of Barton Seaver, who is one of the world’s leading sustainable seafood experts and educators. It can be found in his cookbook; The Joy of Seafood; the all-purpose seafood cookbook with more than 900 recipes. This book is available at our two locations. Bon Appetit!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!